Google
 

Monday, May 26, 2008

Sad News

Hi all,
A sad announcement: the amazing singer/Storyteller Utah Phillips has passed away a few days ago.
News come directly from his family on the blog they were holding for him.
I got the chance to discover him a few years ago thanks to Ani Difranco, who compiled some of his work and added some of her sound to it, to make it more widely available to younger generations with the Album "Past didn't go anywhere" which is probably one of the best records I have in my collection-it is highly inspiring and wise.
The official obituary, a very touching text about this unique man, can be found on the official website.

I'll post here some quotes from his songs that deserve some real good playing:

"I learnt in Korea that I would never again, in my life, abdicate to somebody else my right, and my ability, to decide who the enemy is." (ANARCHY)

"Now matter how new-age you get, old age gonna kick your ass."

"If I cannot dictate the conditions of my labour, I will hence forth cease to work.
I learnt when I was young that the only true life I had was the life of my brain.
But if it's true, what sense does it make to hand that brain to somebody for eight hours a day, for their particular use,on the presumption that at the end of the day they will give it back on a non mutilated condition?" (BUM ON THE ROD)

Ok,all I can recommend is to try to find his record and enjoy all his wonderful
stories!


If you can't find them, it took me hours to actually find the lyrics online, so I'd rather share them: here they are!
See you...

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page